I remember reading a recipe a bit like this somewhere but didn't write it down, when I came to make it I merged two recipes together to make this and was really pleased with the end results. This is Paul's favourite soup!
1 lb pumpkin, chopped or butternut squash
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
fresh stock (cubes work if needs must)
2 tins of full fat coconut milk
200g smoked salmon
salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
- Add Pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in curry powder and cook for another few minutes to take the rawness off the spices.
- Add stock and coconut milk enough to cover the vegetables and bring to a gentle boil.
- Simmer until pumpkin is soft, about 15 minutes.
- When cooked turn off heat and allow to cool slightly
- Blend until smooth,
- Return to pan and add more stock until the required consistency is reached.
- Add the smoked salmon, the heat left in the soup will 'cook' the salmon.
- Check seasoning.
I freeze this in batches with or without the salmon, either way its great. Once defrosted re-heat and add salmon if needed. I don't know how much this makes 8 + depending on the size of your soup bowls.