Friday 23 January 2009

Curried Pumpkin (or BNS) & Smoked Salmon Soup

I admit NOT the best photo in the world, but you get to see how it should look!

I remember reading a recipe a bit like this somewhere but didn't write it down, when I came to make it I merged two recipes together to make this and was really pleased with the end results. This is Paul's favourite soup!

All quantities are approximatly as I just throw it together - email me if you have any questions.
SERVES 8
1 lb pumpkin, chopped or butternut squash
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
fresh stock (cubes work if needs must)
2 tins of full fat coconut milk
200g smoked salmon
salt and pepper
vegetable oil
  1. Heat oil in large pan.
  2. Sauté onions and garlic until soft.
  3. Add Pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes.
  4. Mix in curry powder and cook for another few minutes to take the rawness off the spices.
  5. Add stock and coconut milk enough to cover the vegetables and bring to a gentle boil.
  6. Simmer until pumpkin is soft, about 15 minutes.
  7. When cooked turn off heat and allow to cool slightly
  8. Blend until smooth,
  9. Return to pan and add more stock until the required consistency is reached.
  10. Add the smoked salmon, the heat left in the soup will 'cook' the salmon.
  11. Check seasoning.

I freeze this in batches with or without the salmon, either way its great. Once defrosted re-heat and add salmon if needed. I don't know how much this makes 8 + depending on the size of your soup bowls.

No comments: