Saturday 29 May 2010

Stick Blender Mayonnaise


Some simple rules before you start:

  1. Eggs need to be at room temperature 
  2. Let everything settle in the container before you attempt to blend
  3. Make sure the stick blender is held at the bottom of the pot to start with and keep it going until there is a thick white emulsified mass at the bottom, (always a little longer than you think!) only then can you start moving it up the container.

Recipe

1 medium free range egg at room temperature
300ml of oil (I use ground nut oil)
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or white wine vinegar
large teaspoon of mustard
salt and pepper

Watch me making it here

9 comments:

The Early Shift said...

how many eggs in this Tulip? Don't think it says in your recipe. I'm going to try this, as usual you've inspired me! I've got a fab Bamix but have never used it for mayo.

Tulip said...

Sorry Rachel, I got a bit carried away while typing and forgot to add it. Recipe is now correct, you need one whole egg, make it free range and the poor chooks don't have to suffer! ;-)

Marie Rayner said...

I love my stick blender Julie. I'll have to give this a go!!

Marie Rayner said...

Wow Julie, just checked out your video too. Fabulous! Well done! We got ourselves a video camera to do cooking videos on Youtube, but have never used it. Best laid plans of men and mice and all that . . .

Gloria Baker said...

This mayonnaise look delicious!
gloria

Anonymous said...

I've been making this for years, haven't bought mayo in yonks! I like to add a little ground mustard seed for punch.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

that looks like perfect mayonnaise...I should teach my girls how to make that! Thanks for the inspiration!

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

What a handy tool!

Anonymous said...

It is very helpful!