Friday 7 March 2008

Aubergine, Spinach & Feta Bake

What can I say about this dish? We don't like aubergines all that much, but I said I'd work through the whole book and this has lots of raves on the forum, so I thought I'd have a go...

Looks sort of pretty already!
I added fried diced bacon to bulk it out as I didn't have as much spinach as the recipe called for. Also thought it might lessen the shock of the aubergines!!!

All wrapped up and ready for the oven, had to add the nutmeg to the top as I forgot to add it to the filling, it was late, I was tired and full of cold, no harm done...

It turned out wonderfully, very pretty, tasty and the aubergine was lovely...

I will not be put off by aubergines again, it worked beautifully in this dish, almost giving a meaty texture...very quick dish to prepare. I'd also keep the bacon in as it did indeed distract Paul from the aubergine. Clean plates all round.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this dish last week and it was a huge hit with OH (and me too). We love aubergines which helps. I used lots of fresh spinach and it's something I intend doing again and again. It looks really pretty which just adds to the yummyness.

La Contessa

Tulip said...

Anon - I loved this too...next time I will put more spinach in (I used fresh too) It agree it is so pretty. I now don't dislike aubergines!!! yay!

Marie Rayner said...

That looks really, really good Julie. I love Aubergine Parmesan and ratatouille. Aubergine are really quite tasty in a lot of ways!