While working in school I would always take a cake into school during the last week of term.... just to help the week pass quicker. For many a new recipe, they were my guinea pigs, I wonder if they still remember the beetroot and chocolate cake, or the chocolate & courgette one?
This one is just pure chocolate, chocolate sponge, chocolate butter icing to sandwich it together and plain, milk and white chocolate drizzled on top... what could be nicer for a pre Easter treat?
I dropped this into school during the last week of term, thanks guys for being great friends!
Made using 9" sandwich pans
Pre heat oven 180c
6 oz butter
6 oz caster sugar
6 oz Self Raising Flour
3 level tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of boiling water
- Grease and line sandwich tins with butter and a dusting of flour
- Mix butter and sugar until light white and fluffy
- Add egg and flour alternatively until all mixed
- Mix cocoa with boiling water in seperate cup
- Add to cake mixture and beat in until mixed
- divide into pans, level tops
- Cook for 18-20mins or until a light touch to the top has it springing back
- Allow to cool for 5 mins turn out on wire rack and cool completely
- Sandwich together with chocolate butter cream or cherry jam