Monday 6 April 2009

Dottoressa Moist Muffins

Following the thread in the IPD forum, I took a fancy at making these. They are the chocolate and courgette moist muffins and they were just that! Moist with a great sponge cake like texture. The only thing I really didn't like was the after taste of the sweetener. I used splenda and its really not nice, I'm going to try a different brand. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

I made them in my pampered chef floral silicone pan which is great, they popped out with no trouble and looked so cute. I served these with whipped double cream but I could still taste the sweetener!! I'm not put off though, the texture was spot on, just need to sort out that aftertaste.



Moist Chocolate Muffins

Makes 12 at 1.2 grams carbohydrate and 119 calories

Ingredients:
  • 100 grams ground almonds
  • 100 grams courgettes (zucchini), peeled and grated
  • 6 eggs, separated
  • 30 grams cocoa
  • sweetener*
  • vanilla (optional)
  • cinnamon (optional)
  • 12.5 grams butter, melted
Method:
The secret ingredient in these muffins is courgette, but don't worry, you can't taste it. (Make you sure you squeeze excess moisture from them before using in the recipe.)
Mix the almonds, courgette (zucchini), egg yolks, cocoa, sweetener* and optional vanilla and cinnamon together in a bowl. Whisk the egg whites in a very clean glass bowl until they are stiff. Fold the whisked egg whites into the almond and egg yolk mixture. Brush 12 silicon muffin cases with melted butter. Divide the mixture evenly between them and bake at 175ÂșC until risen and firm.
(Try 24 Splenda tablets dissolved in a little warm water, but adjust to your taste.)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever try that one that I use - its Sweetness and Light. HC

Marie Rayner said...

Those look lovely Julie. I am impressed with that pan as well! I so enjoyed our phone conversation last night! When I got off the phone Todd said, you women don't half go on and on! lol

x said...

They look gorgeous Tulip!

Tulip said...

Hi Marie, I know we did pack in a lot in half an hour, just wish I'd had more time! You have the floral silicone pan don't you? Have you made anything with it yet?

HC - I have got a jar of sweetness and light but havent' made anything with it yet. I have tasted it and it does see good, I'll do something today and let you know!

Amanda - thank you, I'm sure my next batch will be spot on...watch this space...lol

Sylvie said...

Julie, they looks so pretty and yummy.

Anonymous said...

It's the sweetner that causes me a problem, I never know how much to use! I have splenda & sweetness & light. Can anyone give me an exact quantity other than using the tablets dissolved? Thanks, Jego

Tulip said...

Hi Jen, I'm a bit like that with sweetner too, I've been told to mix it up so this recipe calls for 24 teaspoons which is 125ml how about using half sweetness and light and half splenda and see how you get on?