Monday 3 March 2008

The dish now has a name - Lathy's Fragrant Creamy Chicken and Cabbage

This was a recipe that I printed off the forum...Lathy didn't give it a name and I'm sure she won't mind me posting the recipe here.

Not the best photo in the world, but I will make this again tonight



Feeds 3 (I cooked just enough for 1 so cut the recipe by a third)

3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks about (I used stir fry chicken pieces)
200mls double cream
savoy cabbage (as you can tell by the photo, my cabbage wasn't a dark savoy one)
butter & oil
nutmeg (ideally whole, for grating but I expect ready ground would be fine)
black pepper and sea salt

Use a deepish saute pan (or maybe a wok). Its important to have a close fitting lid, and use a medium flame for gentle cooking. I didn't have a close fitting lid for my wok, but lined the biggest one I had with tin foil, this sat inside the wok and the foil created a seal..job done!)

  1. Melt butter and add dash of oil.
  2. Chuck in the chicken, and once sealed fry gently for about five minutes, turning every now and then. While its cooking...
  3. Finely shred the cabbage taking out the hard stalky centres of the leaves.
  4. Add a little water (around a medium wineglass full)to the pan to make some steam, (I put the same amount of water in mine...whoops! - see below)
  5. Throw the cabbage on top in a thick layer,
  6. Grind black pepper and finely grate nutmeg on top (don't be scared to use quite a bit - its the key to the dish).
  7. Then clap the lid on to allow the cabbage to steam on top of the chicken.
  8. After a few minutes it will be bright green and tender.
  9. Add the double cream to everything in the pan, allow it to briefly bubble, but don't overdo it as it may curdle.
  10. Add a little sea salt.
  11. Now eat straightaway - with creamy mashed spuds for the family, and on its own but with loads of the cabbage for me. I probably wouldn't add any other veg as the flavours seem perfect like this. Its pretty too - creamy and green, and really fragrant. Have a go...

Well I did it and it was fabulous! My edits to the recipe are in Blue....and as you can see I put in too much water ...doh, so it had a lot of sauce with it, but seen as I had cut my cabbage into thin long slices, it had the feel of pasta to it, I ate it with a spoon and fork and felt like I'd had a carbonara type dish....delicious, the key to this dish is definitely in the nutmeg flavourings! I will do this again with a darker cabbage next time as suggested in the recipe. Also going to throw a handful of mushrooms in next time too! Thanks Lathy!

Edited to add another photo of Paul's tea tonight.

This time I added mushrooms

No comments: