Tuesday 16 February 2010

Low Carb Coffee Cake

I used Adrienne1's recipe for coffee cup flax seed bread and a very large latte mug to cook it in.

Into the 1/4 cup of flax seed meal and 1/2tsp of baking powder, I mixed in 1 teaspoon of Canderel and mixed. I then added the egg and teaspoon of melted butter to this I added 1 level teaspoon of instant coffee, which I had mixed with 2 teaspoons of hot water to dissolve, then mixed thoroughly, microwaved on high (750watt) for 1 minutes and 30 seconds. What I ended up with was a moist, cake like consistency with a great coffee flavour! I couldn’t taste the sweetener or the flax seed for that matter as the coffee flavour was overpowered them!

I spread it with mascarpone cheese and it was delicious!


It really hit the spot! I have the leftovers stored in an airtight tin and intend to make little sandwich cakes with them to take to a friends!!! Photo of that to follow!!!!

4 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Sounds interesting Julie! Can't wait to see the little sandwich cake you make with it!

Anonymous said...

Just eating one now with some butter on, tastes really good. I put linseeds in my grinder but I can still taste some "bits", where do you buy flax meal from? Jen x
I'm going to add coffee & cinnamon next time and when I've lost more weight I'lla dd some raisins!

Tulip said...

This is a bit late, sorry Jen, I get my flax meal in Tesco. Like the sound of coffee and cinnamon and the raisins will be good too!

Anonymous said...

I tried this with cocoa and it was nice too . ( quite some time ago) . I love the new look website too..


Wee xx