Tuesday 15 January 2008

Fat Free Malt Loaf

This recipe came with my breadmaker but is a bake only recipe as you mix it by hand.


340g Self Raising Flour
45g Dark Brown Sugar
130g Sultanas
225ml Skimmed Milk
1 1/2 tbsp Malt Extract
1 1/2 tbsp Golden Syrup

  1. Place flour, sugar and sultanas ina bowl and mix
  2. Add the skimmed milk, malt extract and gloden syrup and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon,, (the mixture will be very stiff)
  3. Place the tin back inthe bread maker and set the program to 'bake only'
  4. Set timer for 1 hour 10 minutes
  5. When programme has finished, remove from tin and cool on a wire rack.

I think the next time I bake this I will add more fruit, other than that it turned out really nice. slightly hard crust, soft centre, great malt flavour and good texture....fat free too so you can have two pieces!!!

2 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

OH, that malt loaf looks really good Julie! I made Gary Rhodes once and it was yuck. I may give yours a try as Todd really loves Malt loaf!

Tulip said...

Hold that thought Marie, mine was lovely on the day it was made, but it dried out very quickly and lost a lot of its flavour. I am going to see if I can find one with fat in...that will stop it drying out!!! lol