For the pullao
basmati rice, measured to the ¾ pint level in a measuring jug
thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
3 tbsp olive or groundnut oil
½ tsp brown mustard seeds
1 hot green chilli, finely chopped
4oz potato, peeled and diced
½ carrot, peeled and diced
1½oz green beans,
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala1
¼ tsp salt
1 pint water
1. For the pullao, wash the rice in several changes of water then drain. Put the rice in a bowl, cover with water and leave to soak for 30 minutes, then drain again.
2. Peel and finely grate the ginger.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan set over a medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the mustard seeds.
4. As soon as they begin to pop - add the chilli, potato, carrot and green beans and stir.
5. Add the turmeric and garam masala and stir for one minute.
6. Add the ginger and saute, stirring, for another minute.
7. Drain the rice and add it to the pan.
8. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir the rice very gently to mix it into the other ingredients and coat it with the oil and spices. Cook for two minutes.
9. Add the 1 pint water and the salt and bring to the boil. Cover the pan with a very tight-fitting lid then turn the heat to very low and cook for 25 minutes. After this time try a grain of rice to see if it's cooked - cook for a few more minutes if necessary.
In the picture above, I added extra vegetables [broad beans and frozen peas] to my pullo it was delicious.